quarta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2009

Imagination Fully Dilated: Science Fiction





Literate v.—to elucidate or enlighten with words or phrases.

The definition above doesn’t appear in any dictionary, but it is useful here.
Audience participation has always been important to me, but I’m not talking about just a reaction to the
colors, the composition, the technique, the subject matter of a piece of art. No, I want the audience
involved in the “telling” of the image. My artwork tells stories, and just as with a piece of fiction in which
the writer doesn’t “tell” everything, the audience has work to do. I want my audience to bring their own
emotional experience to the viewing of my images. This seems to make it a memorable experience.

That this was important to me was not something I appreciated consciously until I began to meet writers
in the mid-’90s who had written stories or scenes in novels based on pieces of my artwork. They had
seen a piece in an art show or bought a piece that inspired them. After this had happened four or five
times the idea was hatched to do an anthology of these stories and include the artwork.

The process was fairly simple. For each volume a Web page was created containing about forty pieces
of my artwork. Writers were invited to go look at the images and if they were inspired by one of them
and wanted to participate in the anthology, they were given a high resolution print of the image to
consider while they worked. The only rules for this particular volume were a limit of 7,000 words and
that the stories should be Science Fiction.

Always fascinated to hear reactions to my work, I’ve had a tendency to eavesdrop on people looking at
my paintings in art shows. They often take the suggestion of a story contained in a piece and elaborate on
it, coming up with wonderful ideas. These are most often completely different and sometimes
immeasurably more delightful than what I’d had in mind.

The writers in this and the preceding two volumes have done this with incredible results. Being a part of
the editorial team for each of theImagination Fully Dilated volumes has been the ultimate exploration
into this process of audience participation. The writers have brought to it a wealth of imagination and
storytelling ability. I am very proud to be a part of it.

Before reading these stories, you might flip through the book and look at the pieces of art. If they begin
to suggest stories, allow yourself to add to them. Then when you are reading, see how this experience
compares to what has been written.
I hope you will be as fascinated as I have been.
Alan M. Clark


“Introduction” - Alan M. Clark
“A Word of Appreciation” - Robert Kruger
“A Fully Dilated Introduction” - Patrick Swenson
“The Sweet Not-Yet” - Melissa Scott
“Threesome” - Leslie What
“Area Seven” - Robert Onopa
“The Dream of Vibo” - Patrick O’Leary
“The Artist Makes a Splash” - Jerry Oltion
“Fired” - Ray Vukcevich
“Nohow Permanent” - Nancy Jane Moore
“By Any Other Name” - Steve Beai
“Stately’s Pleasure Dome” - Syne Mitchell
“Between the Lines” - Arinn Dembo
“Dilated” - Robert E. Furey
“Let My Right Hand Forget Her Cunning” - Tom Piccirilli
“Cleave” - Therese Pieczynski & A. Alicia Doty
“Out of the Fire” - Elisabeth DeVos
“Legacy” - David Levine
“Lashawnda at the End” - James Van Pelt
All illustrations - Alan M. Clark, except for
“Chattacon Collaboration” - Alan M. Clark and Kevin Ward

Imagination Fully Dilated: SF [ Download ]